Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Vegetables and Damp Soil in a Part-Shady Area

"Jo" wrote in
o.uk:

"Jo" wrote in message
o.uk...
My garden is on a slope and the lower / damper side is yet to be
organised (there is basically a rotten old tree stump, grass and a
few weeds next to the fence). I would like to turn a part of this
side of the garden into a vegetable patch (I currently use a
greenhouse but would like to grow vegetables outdoors too). If I dig
over an area, would it be fitting to simply incorporate some of my
homemade compost in order to grow vegetables or would the damp soil
require other additions to lessen the water-retentiveness of the
soil? I was hoping to grow French beans in this area. What other veg
and/or fruit are not fussy about having too much sunlight at ground
level?

Any advice you can give would be greatfully received.

Jo
Apologies - yes, the area faces north. There is fair amount of sun,
but not at ground level, hence the dampness of the soil - and of
course, the fact that the ground slopes in that direction.

http://www.pots2plots.com/Growing%20%20in%20Shade.htm

Have a look and see what you think about it. I found this site useful some
time ago, but settled for kale on my tiny shaded area thanks to advice from
this group.

Baz