Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"AL_n" wrote in message
What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

Why do you want to drink rainwater out of a butt?
Just interested.
Do you not have perfectly clean and safe water coming through your taps?

I think there is a mistaken belief that if you have a septic tank sewage
system and disconnect your mains supply, that you will have no water bills,
sadly not true as you still have to pay a standing charge of around 8-9
pounds per quarter, this is a so called environmental charge.

Its a lot easier to set up a bore hole or well (a lot of older properties
will have a well if you can find it) but the OP wanted to know how to make
it safe to drink rain water from a butt, which in my view is either by
boiling or a UV filter but I think they may have lost interest with the
thread as it got sidetracked!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs