Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

And I am thinking of buying a ceramic 0.5 micron ceramic water filter which
will give me about a gallon of clean water to hand - which is more than
enough for my needs. Although the air in my part of the country is very
clean, my gutters still accumulate some dirty sediment, which is not
something I'd like to be ingesting - even in small amounts.

A filter will remove sediment.But it's probably not fine enough to
remove any bacteria growing in the sediment.

A 0.5 micron filter will remove almost all bacteria, and filters are
increasingly used for purifying small quantities of water, when
walking and in other areas where it isn't readily available. They
will NOT remove viruses (hence the original term 'filterable viruses')
and so will not protect against polio, hepatitis A, etc.

As far as I know, they should be fine against most things that are
likely in waterbutts, but I am no expert.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.