Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default How many potatoes to plant, to feed a single person?

On Mar 8, 10:23*am, "AL_n" wrote:
Hi all, I'm fairly new to potato-growing. I wonder if anyone can advise how
many spuds I should plant to feed myself only? I tend to eat about one
medium-sized spud a day, on average. So far, I have planted 56 (4 different
harvesting times). My soil is rather clayey and hasn't been cultivated much
but I did dig in some compost. It's still a bit sticky but probably full of
nutrients.

Thanks,

Al

No-one can say. Potatoes prefer a light well drained soil but will
grow almost anywhere. They like lots of compost.
They need irrigation in dry weather.
It's not generally economic to grow spuds, especially if spaceis
limited. They are so cheap.
Better to grow and freeze more costly vegetables.