View Single Post
  #66   Report Post  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009

[/quote]

Hi All,

I have over the last many months been adding neat EM's to a pond. This pond resides within a local park. It was to be honest disgusting with dead fish floating on the surface, a film of green algae was also covering its surface.

It is approximately 4 feet deep at its deepest point, it I believe was created in the 1920's as was the rest of the park. It used to be a peaceful place to enjoy an afternoon walk, but is now a haven for drug dealers and gangs. However for the purposes of this project I have been doing my work before lunchtime when these wretches of society are still sleeping.

I just love the fact that I was able to restore this pond to its true state, I remember as a lad netting tadpoles from its depths. I now see frogs, toads and more importantly newts within its waters. This is what EM's are capable of doing if we take the time to make a difference to our environment!!

Isn't it good to work with Mother nature, rather than against her!!

If this had been left to the parks department it would probably have cost thousands of pounds, if they had bothered at all!!! Whereas it has cost me approximately £10 or £11 using neat EM's and a plastic mug to cast the EM's into the water.

I estimate that the pond is approximately 50 yards in length and 15 yards in width, I must have used about 60 to 70 litres of neat EM's. The cost was in buying Molasses to feed the EM's, however once EM's have been activated all you need to do is feed them!

I still have the first batch That I activated, I never use it all and always leave a couple or 3 inches of the brew in the fermenting container. The container is then topped up 3/4 full with rain water to this is added liquefied molasses and stirred. (a soup spoonful of molasses to every litre of liquid). To finish I top up the container to just below the cap with rain water and the brew is all set to ferment again. I then screw the cap down and fit the airlock.

EM's are Mother nature's gift to us via DrTeruo Higa, however if we don't use them then we have only ourselves to blame for the pollution of our planet!!

To be honest I did not know what to expect when I started this task, but I had to find out if EM's were as effective as their name suggests. The results were quite amazing, the green algae film began to disappear after the third treatment(I was doing this once a fortnight at the start) I also noted that the dead fish began to sink to the bottom of the pond.

This must have been the effect of the EM's breaking down the dead flesh of said fish. At the eight week stage there was no sign of the dead fish and the algae film was almost gone.

The water was however still murky, but by week twelve I noticed new growth on some of the seemingly dead aquatic plants close to the pond edge. This was when I truly realised that EM's do exactly what they are said to do in cleansing water and renewing life in polluted waters!!!

I continued to use the EM's until the water was clear and then stopped. By this time quite a few aquatic plants had returned to life although by no means all. This was far more than I expected given the state in which I originally found the pond.

I will now make monthly sojourns to said pond to check on its condition. But unfortunately the local riffraff still throw their empty beer cans and cigarette ends into the water.

I am totally disgusted by the way modern humans behave towards Mother nature. I myself smoke and drink(home brew) but would never think to do such things. Maybe it was the way in which I was brought up. I, nor any other child in our community was allowed to play football or any other game on a Sunday, it was a day for the Kirk and Sunday school!!

In those days we got the strap for misbehaving in class and I prayed that my parents never found of that this had occurred as the consequences would have been far worse!!!

How things have changed, our children are all now barrack room lawyers who vent their anger on those who would stop them enjoying themselves at the expense of others!!!

Such is modern life!!!

Uriel

The mind is like a parachute, its totally useless unless its open