Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Bargin of the year?

On 09/03/2012 09:03, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:22:50 -0000, wrote:

"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 01:11:58 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, wrote:
I work for a charity shop. We are allowed to buy donated goods as long
as
someone else prices them.
My boss, who doesn't garden beyond the mow the lawn/weed the boarder
point,
told me we had had a donation of "some" plant labels. She thought there
were too many for us to sell, so would I like some of them? Of course,
said yes.

They are brand new, wood, good quality, 6 inches long and 1/2 an inch
wide.
I have 404 [yes, four hundred and four] of them.
.
.
.
.
.

For £1.50 :-}}

--
Kathy

I suppose the next thing is you'll be on Antiques Road Show or Flog it
and they will turn out to be hand carved by Chipendale and worth a few
hundred pounds each.

and the original owner will turn up shouting that the charity has been
robbed.
--

I dislike the idea that charity workers can get the best things from the
charity shop before the public even sees it.

We pay for them, so what's unethical?

You don't pay the real price.

No one pays the real price in a charity shop. The goods are second hand
and therefore at a lower value. That's part of the double-ended
attraction: the charity gets stock for free, the customers get a
bargain. That's the way it works, and it works well. If good people
like Kathy are prepared to work for a low wage to help the charity, then
I'm glad they're able to occasionally enjoy the odd incentive. Kathy
did not set the price she paid .. she even quibbled for a higher price
... so in no sense did she rob the charity, or would ever do so. The
suggestion is outrageous and insulting. I very much hope she enjoys
using every one of her labels.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London