Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Underground River

"Hugh Leslie" wrote in message

I recently bought a house and was having mains gas installed but when
the gas company dug the trench it filled with water very rapidly. As far
as I can tell they have not hit a water pipe while digging the trench as
my water is fine and I don't believe that anyone else has a pipe through
my garden. This leaves only two possibilities that a pipe has burst
further up the hill and is flowing underground through my garden or it
is a underground river.

The fount of my garden is a bog which I though was just because we had a
wet winter but now realise that this isn't the case and this river is
only about four meters away from the house so I'm a little worried about
the effect on the foundations of the house.

I have the water company coming sometime soon to test the water to see
if it is coming from a mains. But if it is an underground river does any
one have any bright ideas what I can do about it?

There is a short video clip sowing the extent of the problem here
'MVI_1348.MOV - YouTube' (http://tinyurl.com/7lr8e32)

At least there will be plenty of water for the water company to test. If it
is groundwater (as opposed to drainage effluent or main water supply, which
they ought to fix) and you are concerned about your foundations, you might
ask your conveyancers and/or surveyors to comment, in case they missed any
indications they perhaps should have warned you about during the purchase
process (e.g. history of flooding from vendors, or signs of damp penetration
etc. from surveyors). In the final analysis, if there is no-one to blame,
but you simply cannot get it out of your mind, you might consult structural
engineers for advice, but that wouldn't be cheap