Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default winter jasmine care guide please

On Mar 9, 4:00*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , amme.9cfcbb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

HI I have got a winter jasmine that i bought last yr and its looking a
bit sorry for itself, when i bought it it had white flowers on and the
leaves were a lovely dark shiny green.

* *White flowers and lovely dark shining leaves sounds more like summer
flowering jasmine . If so, that's why it is flowerless atm.(it climbs by
twining stems)

* *Winter jasmine has insignificant leaves, yellow flowers in spring and
the stems are stiff, non-twining.

* *Janet.

Have a look at jasminum nudiflorum then try Jasminum polyanthum
A big differance between them, there is a white winter flowering
jasmin but like Janet I think you have the summer flowering Jasminum
polyanthum.
I remember a friend had a winter flowering Jasmin against a wall and
after 3 years it had grown around 3 ft, then the wall fell onto it
smashing it badly, a new wall was built and in the next few months the
Jasmin put on almost 5 ft, from then on it never looked back.
The moral.
You can chop it hard back