Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default winter jasmine care guide please

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:
On Mar 9, 4:00=A0pm, Janet wrote:
In article , amme.9cfcbb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

HI I have got a winter jasmine that i bought last yr and its looking a
bit sorry for itself, when i bought it it had white flowers on and the
leaves were a lovely dark shiny green.

=A0 =A0White flowers and lovely dark shining leaves sounds more like summ=

er
flowering jasmine . If so, that's why it is flowerless atm.(it climbs by
twining stems)

=A0 =A0Winter jasmine has insignificant leaves, yellow flowers in spring =

and
the stems are stiff, non-twining.

=A0 =A0Janet.

Have a look at jasminum nudiflorum then try Jasminum polyanthum
A big differance between them, there is a white winter flowering
jasmin but like Janet I think you have the summer flowering Jasminum
polyanthum.
I remember a friend had a winter flowering Jasmin against a wall and
after 3 years it had grown around 3 ft, then the wall fell onto it
smashing it badly, a new wall was built and in the next few months the
Jasmin put on almost 5 ft, from then on it never looked back.
The moral.
You can chop it hard back

Dark green, glossy leaves? Perhaps, but possibly one of the even
more exotic ones. If so, it wouldn't be hardy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.