Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Underground River

In article 0309dc86-a098-45fc-92c9-
, says...

On Mar 9, 4:55*pm, Hugh Leslie Hugh.Leslie.
wrote:
Had the people from Scottish water hear to day and they reckoned it was
an underground spring. I then dug out some old plans of the house when
it was being built in the 60ies and low and behold there is a stream
marked on it called Strand Burn.........

Think I might open it up and have a stream running though the garden but
my only worry is that the stream runs only a few meters away from the
house.....

If I did that I'd want some kind of contained waterproof pathway to
move water through the garden safely. Fine if theres a rock substrate.
Otherwise you're asking for soil erosion and a potential blight on your
property value.... and your insurance premiums. Here in high-rainfall west
Scotland building insurers are *very* picky about "distance between
building and nearest open waterway".

--
Hugh Leslie

Well a natural water feature usually adds value to the house if
properly done
and fixed so it won't cause any flooding.

Now that the underground stream is exposed, erosion of surrounding soil
can be slow and constant regardless of flow rate, so is probably more of a
threat than flooding.

Janet.