Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Tomato starts

Gunner wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:56 pm, "Snag" wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"

Just curious, first true leaves? If your plants are at the stage of
needing more nutrients you might try looking into your "slow-release
fertilizer in the mix" at this stage. Doesn't sound like a low
threshold photosynthesis issue.

You're over my head ... these are the very first pair of leaves outta the
seed , and they're looking better now . First true leaves are just now
beginning to form .

Do you know how/or when the nutrients in your mix release? There are
as many “slow release”; “controlled release”, or some such “coated”,
usually formulae as there are companies making them. They release
their nutrient(s) in different ways, some at different temps and not
all contain micro-nutrients. There is no one-size-fits-all
fertilizer.
If you do not know about using controlled-release (CRF) and slow-
release (SRF) fertilizers you could start with this article and maybe
a few of the side bars from it, perhaps research the specific brand
used in your mix:
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/article/15892

Thanks for the link ! The stuff I used this year is a "potting/starter mix"
that's supposed to be good for about 3 months , I have no idea what it
actually contains or how/when the nutrients are released .
--
Snag
Learning keeps