Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

On 12 Mar 2012 17:41:34 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

Does anyone have any easy way of preventing Hozelock fittings from coming
loose under pressure? OK, it's possible that I am not using genuine
Hozelock fittings or hoses, but they are supposed to be compatible. The
fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is to
say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking about the
male and female parts of a connector coming apart.) Not sure if it's the
fault of the connectors or the hose, but if anyone has a method of keeping
them on (short of buying new hose and fittings), perhaps you could
advise...

TIA

Jim

In 30-odd years I've encountered the occasional male-female separation
when one or other part wears but I've never had the connector actually
separate from the hose. Do you have exceptionally high water pressure
(lucky you if you do)?

Pressure aside, you may have inferior quality fittings or hose. You
will know if that applies. Alternatively you may have a non-standard
fitting or hose. All the decent Hozelock-type fittings assume a
standard hose diameter both inside and out but not all hoses are the
same. If the internal diameter is bigger than standard then the hose
will compress in the fitting and come away. If the outer diameter is
less than normal then the compression fitting may not bite. Some hoses
I have come across have an exceptionally hard outer wall and the
plastic teeth in the fitting may not be able to penetrate into that to
get a grip. In other cases, the outer wall is too soft - you can't win
sometimes!

Have a look at a hose end that has separated and see if you can see
clear teeth marks in it from the compression fitting. If you cannot
then either or both of the hose and/or fittings need to be replaced.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.