Old 13-03-2012, 12:16 AM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurap74 View Post
Hi all, I live in London UK, where it is pretty cold and I love plants but unfortunately I only have a balcony to work with...it faces west, I would like to have some advice on evergreen plants and trees to put there, something that may give a bit of green through winter, I like the feeling of a little wild garden, like a woodland maybe....I am looking forward to your advice, thank you!!
Hi Laurap, I must say that there are no rules about which plants to use, it's really all about personal choice, so what ever you like is fine !
What I would suggest is that you go to your local nursery, walk around and look at the plants that are outside now and anything that is in leaf at the moment will be evergreen (if your quick, as deciduous plants are now coming quickly into leaf) If it was me, I'd be looking for plants that give texture and colour from the foliage rather than for the flowers, that way, youll have this interest all year. If you choose plants by their flowers only, then it will be only when they are in flower that they look good !
Here are a few that I would choose, Pieris, Euonymous, Drimys, Fatsia, Photinia, Phormium, Cordyline, Olearia, Azalea, etc etc. For colour you can always add some pots of perennials or even annuals mixed in around your larger plants.
hope this helps, Lannerman.