Old 13-03-2012, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
news news is offline

Default Waterlogged olive - pot drainage warning

In article , David WE Roberts
writes

The olive has been growing and cropping for a few years now and has
been fine until I left it for too long on soil instead of on hard
standing.
The pot is on its side and should have drained by now.
I will clear out the root and see how it goes.

My larger olive stays out too - but for winter this year I cut an
oversize circle of the green plastic 'groundsheet' stuff you use to
cover things. Raised on the surface of the pot soil by a couple of
bricks, to ensure that water drained off it over the edge of the pot.

Might be an idea to use weed membrane in future - which should let a
small amount oif water through - although lack of water has not been an
issue for it.

--
regards andyw