Old 14-03-2012, 11:33 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuk100 View Post
Many thanks for the advice. Just to double check that I have the right palm species, I have attached photos. Can you confirm? Thanks. Martin
Those are wonderful cordylines, but in the wrong place. It seems like vandalism to shorten them. Can't you move them somewhere else, where you might be able to appreciate them as they are? As previously noted, they don't have huge root balls, and can be moved, if you keep enough of the root ball.

You'll just arrive there again if you shorten them. If you like that Dr Seuss look, but not the height, why not grow something of roughly similar appearance, but with less height, such as a some hardy yuccas, or furcreaea, or astelia. Or, as lannerman suggests, one of the red Cordylines that are much more slow growing, in a tub or not. Though the red ones are more prone to cold damage.