Old 14-03-2012, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
pam smith pam smith is offline

Default Rust in azalea!!! HELP

On Mar 14, 1:22*am, laurap74
wrote:
I purchased a evergreen azalea. It has developed a serious leaf rust
infestation. I got it over the summer and I am planning to transfer it
to the spot I want to have it. Right now the plant is still on the
burlap. I removed all the rusty leaves out and the plant is budding, so
only the buds are present at this point.
Is there anything I could do to prevent the rust from coming back next
year?

Also, is there anything I could apply to the plant to avoid this
disease?

I will greatly appreciate help.
Thanks

--
laurap74

Hi Laura
My name is Pam,maybe this could help you.carry out a acidify test of
the soil,for azaleas need a acid soil,yellow leaves on azaleas and
other acid loving plants is a sign that the plants need nitrogen as
well as increased acid.Mulch the plants heavily with peat or a special
acid azalea compost and a application of nitrogen-fertilizer to make
the soil more acid.apply acidifying materials, ask for it at your
nursery.
good luck
pam smith