Old 15-03-2012, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Please someone help me i have no idea what i am doing or what imlooking at!

On Mar 15, 9:26*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:34*pm, zoebee87
wrote:

Hi there!

I really need some help as ive literally no idea what im doing or
looking at for that matter, but this garden needs sos!!!!

we moved in our first home together in november 2010..the garden was not
really up to much at that time but it was obvious that the previous
owners had devoted alot of time to it over the years etc. i was pregnant
with our first at the time we moved in and our son was born in
march...now summer is coming back around and hes toddling i want a nice
garden for all his memories. Slap bang in the middle was a greenhouse,
filled with what i can only imagine to be rotten tomatoes...anyways we
gave it away as to be honest i thought the thing was ghastly and found
myself picturing a nice table and chairs sipping sangria summer
moments!

Please will someone do me a favour and look at my sorry state of a
garden...what is going on here? so far i have identified Ivy, the common
weed and daffodils. yay for me.

i have no idea what any of the other stuff is, some blinking rhubarb
type plant and this rather crooked looking tree on the right (which
actually was kinda pretty last summer since it flowered) but these
bushes...in the corners? what the hell are they? what do i do with them?

if im perfectly honest i would love nothing more than to get rid of
everything except the crooked tree. i would get rid of that ivy and
replace it with something...well...else. ha. i would like flowers
everywhere...i mean around the edges im assuming that those piled bricks
are raised beds? am i cottoning on a bit more? well i have a
vision...and that vision is...poppies. not the remembrance ones...ive
actually been looking at Angels Choir type.

what would be great is for someone to kindly tell me what ive got
growing in my garden and whats best to do with what ive got i suppose,
unless it wouldnt that difficult to pull everything except my tree out
and re do it.

thanks in advance

Zoe

|Filename: Zoesgarden.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14810|

zoebee87

Well the rhubarb looking plant is probably Rhubarb, the tree looks
like a badly hacked apple, the flowers soon should tell you, in the
left corner it looks like a Magnolia, but pics taken closer to the
unknown plants would make it easier to tell what they are.
But
I'd say you have an easy garden to look after, If you have been there
a year then you should know what plants are going to come up, dig over
the rest to remove the weeds and plant what you want/like.
David @ the normally wet end of Swansea Bay, now in the 6th day of
drought.- Hide quoted text -

Looking again at your pic and blowing it up I am wondering if what I
think is a Magnolia is infact in nextdoors garden over the wall.
It looks to me as if you have a female dog, remember as you have a
little one who is going to be out in the garden a lot, you will have
to clean up after the dog or make it a child proof area to use as its
toilet, possibly paved so it can be washed down easily.
You will be supprised at the differance a day of clearing, weeding and
geting the grass cut would make.