Old 15-03-2012, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Carrot fly

On Mar 15, 6:42*pm, wrote:
In article ,

Bob Hobden wrote:

I think that I am going to give up and fleece my carrots, but I
can't find a reasonable source of small hoops. *Does anyone know
of one, or shall I need to get some heavy gauge wire and make
them myself?

I've seen that stiff blue plastic water pipe (from Builders Merchants or
skips) used to make hoops with old copper water pipe or dowel pushed into
the ends and used as stakes to keep it upright. If I remember correctly the
chap also tied the tops together with string and staked it at the ends so it
could not get blown over.

Thanks, but that's inappropriate for this use, because of storage
space. *A couple of dozen heavy gauge wire hoops doesn't take
up too much - a couple of dozen of those does!

The most tedious aspect is having to drive to the other side of
Cambridge (a loathesome trip) to buy the wire.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The one thing if you used the black plastic pipe is that you can make
larger hoops with it than wire, and you can use it for covering ground
early as a poly closh and for later crops again as a closh so you may
not be storing the hoops for much of the year.
David @ the normally wet end of Swansea Bay, now in the 6th day of
drought.