Old 16-03-2012, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default tree id?

On 2012-03-16 12:46:09 +0000, stuart noble
said:

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to
prevent the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to
emphasise any merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for
them selves right now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any
help appreciated.

Not a prayer, imo. They're not that special and look as you see after a
winter bashing. Ours did just the same last winter but has now
re-sprouted healthy growth. But they're not special, or unusual, or
precious natives or anything of that sort.

They look like half dead cordylines to me. I'd support ripping them out!

After a mild winter they usually look good, and provide a welcome relief
from the usual hardwood trees. Something a bit exotic in this dismal
corner of the south east.

http://i43.tinypic.com/15dkoee.jpg

Now is that a picture of idyllic English life or what!
It's alright, I'm just preparing my speech to the planning committee :-)

Ok, thanks everyone. We already have a TPO on a sycamore, and a
eucalyptus, which are nothing special either.

That is the sort of use of TPO that brings the entire planning system
into disrepute. Sycamores are an invasive nuisance species and *should*
be felled. Eucalyptus are just spindly fast growing alien fire hazards
and anyone planting one deserves what they get.

Don't knock the 50 foot eucalyptus! Right now it's our best friend,
having prevented a line of six terraced houses being erected. Don't ask
where we'll be with it in 5 years time :-)