Old 16-03-2012, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default taking chances with early plantings

On Mar 16, 1:46*pm, songbird wrote:
* it being so warm and due to be for a
week at least (in the 80sF tomorrow forecast)
perhaps i can get some sprouts up of plants
that i have many seeds for. *i need to cover
some bare dirt.

* first i planted one third of the onion seeds
i harvested last year. *i'm going to plant
another third in a few weeks and then the last
a few weeks later.

* then turnips which say to plant in early
spring. *we'll see how they do. *first time
i'm trying these. *will plant the rest in a
few weeks.

* last i put in peas to cover the side of a
small raised bed. *don't expect them to do much
at all, but if they go they'll be welcome if
they can survive any remaining frosts. *last
year the peas in the late summer/fall went quite
far past the initial cold spells so i'm hoping
that these will come up and have enough strength
before some cold returns.

* songbird

I am really trying to resist the temptation to plant. Our actual frost
date is April 15 but I am usually planted by the 1st.
Onion question, I put out a bunch of sets. They have grown well for
the amount of time they have been out there but the few I have pulled
are mush. It has been very dry so I don't know what would have made
them rot.
MJ