Old 16-03-2012, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Advice needed on sowing seeds

tarantula_123 wrote:
Hi all im Dale and new to the forum,

I need some advice on sowing some seeds ive bought off the internet.
These include atlantic giant pumpkin, goji berry and brandywine
tomato.

The advice i need is:

what compost do i need to sow these,

Nice rich soil would be good. One does not need to grow in pure compost.

what equipment do i need to sow them in,

Why do you need any?

I am fairly new to gardening, but am very experienced in growing
runner beans. I usually sow those every year in 3.5cm pots.

However, i haven't got much idea on how to sow these seeds i have. The
brandywine tomato is said to be one of the best there is, so i want to
get them perfect. Do i use a propagator? If not, what size pots, i.e.
the plastic bag over the top to act as a propagotr. When people say
use a propagator, they never state how. There is various types of
bottoms to the propagator itself, or you can put small pots in etc
that are seperate from other seeds. I know some use no pots and just
the bottom of the propagator itself, and remove the resulting
germination by hand, which i dont like doing.

Why do you need a propagator? What is your climate?

So, along with this, this brings me to my pumpkin seeds, which i have
never ever grown. Do i sow these in a propagator, if so, again, do i
use seperate seedling trays, if so what size, if not, what do i use.

Generally they don't like to have their roots disturbed. Either sow them
directly or use tapered seedling tubes, one each tube.

David