Old 17-03-2012, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default a patch in progress

Billy wrote:
In an empty garden plot, I add my amendments, cover with newspaper or
cardboard, and cover that with alfalfa (lucern). I then wet it down and
wait a few weeks at least before I plant. I haven't had any problems of
weeds poking through, and it's really easier on the back.

if i were starting a garden plot from scratch
that would work better that is for sure. this
is an established garden that i don't want to
layer new materials in just a few problem areas.
that wouldn't look right.

in a few more sunny days the scrapings will be
dried out and i can transplant some larger seedlings
and water them in and then i should be set for the
bare spots. one plant per sq ft will do.

for the rest of it, i have to get the weeds
out without killing off existing plants so i
can't smother them. just have to be patient
enough to work through each area a bit at a
time.

i sit on a pillow on the ground. my back is
doing well. for the first time in a long time
i can say that after a winter season my back is
as good now as it was in the fall. thank ghu
for a chiropractor, massage and regular exercise
(like gardening and walking).

songbird