Old 17-03-2012, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim xzy Jim xzy is offline

Default Cabbage and lettuce seedlings - too tall and floppy?

Jake wrote in
:

From your description of long thin stems with leaves at the top, I'd
suggest that (2) is the most likely cause though I'm sure others will
disagree. Just a "couple of leaves" indicates to me that what you've
got are still the seed leaves (cotyledons) rather than the leaves that
will actually develop into the lettuces and cabbages and so they
didn't get enough light whilst in the seed trays.

Cheers, Jake

Thanks Jake - I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I will sow a
fresh lot.

Jim