Old 17-03-2012, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please someone help me i have no idea what i am doing or what im looking at!

"zoebee87" wrote in message

we have a large paved area at
the side of the house in front of the garage that she uses 99% of the
time we're planning on getting a proper gate to block it off. i dont
like her going in the main garden because whenever she does...she goes
over to the corner on the right and starts pawing as if shes trying to
uncover something...if i try and move her away she growls at me a
little..its as if she can smell something...before we lost our male they
had spotted a hedgehog in the early hours one morning..we had thought
the barking was down to there being an actual intruder..when we let them
both out to "see it off" Toby came back and dumped this massive hedgehog
on the backdoor step! it was gone the morning after but is it possible
that its living in this corner? if so...now what do i do?

i am planning on getting rid of the ivy but im unsure of where its
actual roots will be...erm on the far left it looks like at the back of
the garage leading onto my neighbours garden...if i spray it and then it
turns out to be their ivy thats just taken advantage of my garage walls
then im in trouble arent i? but i hate the ivy it just looks very dated
and untidy. perhaps i should knock on and ask...hopefully it isnt theirs
and i can get rid of it!

Again thanks for your replies ]

Zoe

Don't worry about the hedgehog it won't hang around with dogs bothering it
and they don't seem to come to much harm being carried around by them, ours
used to do that too! Having a hedgehog in a garden is considered a good
thing.

Dont waste time and money spraying the ivy, cut it near the base and dig the
roots out, if no roots then cut as low down as possible your side but I
suspect it is your side and may well have been deliberatly planted.

And I think the shrub with the brown flowers is a Hydrangea

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs