Old 17-03-2012, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default tree id?

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 17/03/2012 02:37, Christina Websell wrote:
"stuart wrote in message
Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.

As others have said, no chance. why do you think preserving trees will
prevent a house from being demolished?

I think that because.... preserving trees reduces what the developers can
put in its place, hopefully to the point where it isn't worthwhile
proceeding.

Let me guess, it's near you, in a good bit of ground and the developers
are
after it?

Of course, what else is planning all about? It also happens to be council
owned park land (Park Keeper's Lodge), so by no means ethically
straightforward.
Do I detect a slightly patronising tone? Why would that be?

Are you doing this on your own?
Do you have any past experience with this sort of opposition?
Are you acting with others?

I have a fair amount of experience of fighting of both having Planning
Permission applied AND opposed

A few tips. (Without knowing where or how much land is involved)

Worth looking into ..................

If it is Council Owned Park there may be a Covenant on the land 'For the
Benefit of the locals' sort of application.
The Park may have been given to the local community by a Landed Gentry years
ago with restrictions.
The House itself may have a Covenant on for the same reason
There is the possibility of slapping 'Listed Building' on it because of its
past use.

The local Council owned a piece of land near me and applied to themselves
for planning permission for a development of Bungalows. I opposed it because
of the lack of sewerage facilities and the capability of coping with more
houses. I put a sting in the tail of the letter, to the effect that should
they grant planning permission and build, 'and if as a result numbers XX,
YY, and ZZ get flooded they will have the right to sue the Council for
neglect" (Neighbours HAD been flooded because of the surface water problem
and XX, YY, and ZZ would be the next in line) The Chief Exec was not very
pleased with me, the near neighbours were :-)

The latest I have been involved with, along with A LOT of people, is again
with the possibility of a development, is saving our local Theatre
www.shanklintheatre.com . That involved having a Grade II Listed Building
slapped on it at the last minute. Don't know who did it, but it worked.

There are some ideas for you, BUT, they are ideas which might not apply or
have a wax cats chance in hell, but if you and a group of people are
determined, crack on.

One SURE way of stopping it, is buy it. Not as daft as it may seem. I had a
piece of land and got planning permission for two pairs of houses, but I had
to buy a house with a wide side garden to drive a road in. The house was on
the open market when I bought it. People opposed the planning application.
It was flung out, "You could have stopped it by buying the house and land"

Mike