Old 17-03-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting bare root Victoria Plum tree questions.

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Jake wrote in
:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:58:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

For a couple of quid outlay for the tree, what have you got to lose?

You'll be "on-site" as it were so will be able to make your own
judgement as to whether (and if of course) to allow any flowers/fruits
that form to develop or whether you remove them to allow the tree to
devote all its energy to it's basic survival needs this year.

Keep it well-watered and keep a circle of ground extenting to a foot
away from the trunk clear of grass and anything else for at least this
year.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I have been unlucky in the past with this variety, ordered and dead,
ordered and been sent some apple tree, ordered and out of stock, but sent
to me in July.

I have planted this one today with your advice. And of course I will let
you know how it gets on.

Fingers crossed
Baz

Good luck with your bargain, if you need to try again next winter I got a
wonderful Victoria plum tree from Sacha and Ray at Hill House last year, and
had a good crop on it the first summer and this spring it is just about to
be completely covered in flower buds, well pleased (and it was one of 4 from
there all have done exceptionally well)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs