Old 17-03-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Getting rainwater from my roof into my water butt (cheaply)...

In message ,
writes
On 17 Mar 2012 17:35:23 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I've just purchased a water butt, and need to find a way of getting the
rainwater from my house's roof flowing into it. One way, would be to fork
out £9 or so for a few ounces of plastic - i.e., a diverter.

Does anyone know of a cheaper but equally/more effective way? Is there a
way that doesn't require cutting all the way through one's downpipe?

I'm not even sure how effective those diverters are, anyway. What happens
when the butt is full up? Does the diverter keep sending rainwater to the
butt?

Thanks for any tips...

Al

I have two on the conservatory gutters. They work until the pipes
between the divertor and the water butt clogs up - there's a fair
amount of solid material that come down the downpipe.

I clean mine out once a year - takes two minutes. Just disconnect the
pipe at the diverter end and lower the end. All the crud runs out.
Mine aren't
clever enough, the butts just overflow into the soakaways once they
are full. I suppose I could add more con

tainers and interlink them
but that would only delay the inevitable.

Regards
JonH

--
hugh