Old 17-03-2012, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot fly

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

I think that I am going to give up and fleece my carrots, but I
can't find a reasonable source of small hoops. Does anyone know
of one, or shall I need to get some heavy gauge wire and make
them myself?

Well, I have had success with the barrier method with polythene around
them. Make sure the polythene is buried all around and is 2' high. It
works
for me.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space. The effect on rainfall is a
serious problem for me.

If I read Baz's suggestion correctly, your remarks just don't make sense.

You are probably assuming that rain falls straight down and/or
I have enough room for wide separations. If you have 2' high
impermeable barriers 1' to 1'6" apart, most of the rain will
hit the soil at the bottom of the barriers, where the carrots
aren't. And carrots are not one of the plants with spreading
roots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.