Old 21-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Veggie soil question

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:58:51 GMT, "Kathy"
wrote:

The ground I am digging in is very hard on top, it takes a foot on the
shovel to get threw it. I loosen it all up and plant but then after watering
the top gets a crust on it that is very hard. What can I add to that soil to
make my veggies happier?
Thanks In Advance, Kathy

This sounds like clay to me. We have it too. It's very
difficult to work with. When it's wet, it's heavy and soggy
and stays wet a long time (sometimes with standing water
that just doesn't drain out). When it's dry, it sets up
like concrete. Ugh.

You can add sand, but huge quantities of organic matter -
compost, peat moss, grass clippings, hay, straw, dry leaves
- is probably best.

Our soil has improved noticeably during the two years we've
been here - we've mulched very heavily (at least a foot of
mulch) both years and had the mulch tilled in to the soil in
spring. We'll keep on doing this, it seems to be working.

I also hope to be able to buy a large quantity of
spent-mushroom soil this spring and use it for the 'top
layer' of raised beds.

Pat