Old 18-03-2012, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Getting rainwater from my roof into my water butt (cheaply)...

On 17/03/2012 17:35, AL_n wrote:
I've just purchased a water butt, and need to find a way of getting the
rainwater from my house's roof flowing into it. One way, would be to fork
out £9 or so for a few ounces of plastic - i.e., a diverter.

Does anyone know of a cheaper but equally/more effective way? Is there a
way that doesn't require cutting all the way through one's downpipe?

The diverters *are* the easiest way of doing it. Designed for the job.

I'm not even sure how effective those diverters are, anyway. What happens
when the butt is full up? Does the diverter keep sending rainwater to the
butt?

Not if you install it correctly according to the instructions. The
excess water goes on down the drain once the water but is full.

You have to clear them of dead leaves periodically in autumn too.

Thanks for any tips...

Al

--
Regards,