Old 18-03-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default I'm a step-froggie-daddy again

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:22:34 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

So what happens should I get masses of tiny frogs, or will most
of them be killed or just die?

What I thought were bats on my night CCTV have turned out to be large
moths which trigger the motion detector.

Doug.

The survival rate is, unfortunately, miniscule - maybe 3 or 4 mature
frogs from a load of spawn. They eat each other and other wildlife
loves them. It takes a few years before a frog is mature enough to lay
but somehow, the year after you've found spawn in a pond, older frogs
will find the place and once the original few get to laying stage
they'll be back as well and wahey! So you'll have increasing amounts
spawn each year after the first as long as you maintain the right
conditions. I've even read that if an old pond is filled in, it's not
unusual to find spawn laid on the ground where it used to be for a few
years.

Last year I'd drained the pond a bit at spawning time as it had to be
cleared out. Things got a bit crowded and one frog jumped out of the
pond and laid on the path beside it (with the cat and me watching
somewhat bemused) then hopped back in.

Bats are a mixed blessing. Noticed some flying round the house in
circles every summer night some years ago. On one or two occasions one
has flown in through an open window. Spoke to local bat people. Turns
out there are some males "nesting" in the cavity wall of the house.
Sensible creatures are bats! There's a roost of females down the road
in the church tower. The males fly down there for their bit of fun and
then leave the ladies to get on with the job whilst they return here
for some peace and quiet. I've been told that the number of males here
will never fluctuate. If an old one dies, a youngster will be invited
to replace him but any extras will be turfed out.

Downside is we can't get the cavity wall insulated. But that's a small
price to pay I think.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.