Old 19-03-2012, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Favorite tomatoes

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:33:06 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you
favorites?

For a cherry tomato, I like "Blond Kopfchen". It's a little slow getting
started, but is survives the fall rains better than anything else I've
grown, which gives it a long growing season. Then there is Stupice
(stew-peachy) a 2", 55 day tomato which is my first tomato of the
season, and for large tomatoes I like Striped German (low acid, good
taste for sandwiches), and Caspian Pink which comes in a few days before
Brandywines, which only do well for me in warm years (in other words,
not recently). The last few years, I've put down clear plastic sheeting
to increase the soil temps, which has kept my harvest a couple of weeks
ahead of my neighbors.

I've ordered Blond Kopfchen and Caspian Pinks from Tomatofest. To bring
the order up their minimum I added some of their new varieties, Amy's
Sugargem, Santiago and one that they listed as a favorite cherry, Isis
Candy.

I do much better with cherry varieties because they tend to mature
quickly. I don't have a lot of sun so the larger varieties frequently
don't mature by the time I have my first cold snap.