Old 18-03-2012, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default I'm a step-froggie-daddy again

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:27:13 +0000, Spider wrote:

Oh stop it! ;-)). I do envy you your amphibious friends .. and your
hostas (turns green with envy). I suppose your lawn is greener than
mine, too :~).

Nah, back lawn's currently crap, despite a lot of work over the last 2
years which has seen most of it lifted, the soil underneath dug over,
pumped full of grit to improve drainage, and then relaid or resown.
Looked lovely last year. This year, no weeds and very little moss but
the grass is sparse. Will soon be overseeding and feeding like mad.

The front lawns look good though.Tiny one was relaid completely last
year whilst the other's untouched original except where I've removed
shrubs to open it out a bit. I've noticed that whilst last year the
grass was all the same colour, the bits that were seeded when shrubs
were removed are currently darker than the rest. Weird.

As well as froggie (and hoggie) slug eaters, my secret slug deterrent
around the hostas is shredded CDs and DVDs. I offer to remove the
CD/DVD waste from offices on estates I manage and have a shredder that
pulverises them into confetti. These are scattered around the plants
like crushed eggshells. Plus points are that they don't decompose and
in the sun you get a multi-coloured glint shining through the plants.
And, of course, slugs and snails don't like the sharp edges. I can
also dig the shards into the ground whenever and they act like coarse
grit to improve drainage. There are lots of uses for unshredded CDs
and DVDs as well.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.