Old 18-03-2012, 11:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Rocks in the Pond - No

Good oldie picks JB.

Around here (local club) we're of the mindset of no rocks, though we don't
let ourselves get bent out of shape about it. Quite simply we state the
obvious, "you'll have more pond if you remove the rocks" and as we know,
once one puts in a pond they all wish for bigger, right? ;-)

I'll never forget the one ponder who had a pond put in "professionally"
when aquascape first came out. When he got more education on koi, he
removed the rocks and found just how much rock he had paid for... I think
it was something like 2 feet deep in just rocks! Eventually he really got
more serious and made the pond deeper and even added gas heat, so he could
keep his koi comfy thru-out the winter.

Alas, they moved to a house w/o a pond and putting in another wasn't his
top priority, so the fish stayed with the new owners. They got foreclosed
on and only due to a neighbor did the previous owner find out that the pond
had been left to grow stagnant with all these big koi in it. With the
neighbor's help (power and water) a koi club rescue took place. All the
really big koi were lost, but they did manage to save about 15-20 medium
size ones. One was a gorgeous butterfly that I wish I'd gone on the rescue
trip, but it was Feb. and I had no way to quarantine at the time and wasn't
going to risk not doing it. Why I didn't show up as surely I would have
been tempted.s ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us