Old 19-03-2012, 07:01 AM
MartnJules MartnJules is offline
Registered User

Hi Guys - thanks for the responses :-)

Just a few things from me: -

David (California) - Like the story about the neigbour's dog! Problem with Cats is that they'll go wherever they like - I know I can't beat them, so a physical barrier is my only option.
In terms of the heat build up - I can appreciate that in the 'Sunshine' state it would be a problem, just bear in mind that I'm in Scotland - we don't really do heat :-(

Janet (Arran) I'm very jealous of where you live by the way - Arran is so beautiful!
The fence I built was a ranch style fence, with slightly overlapping planks on either sides of the posts. This gives privacy but allows the wind to travel through. The posts are 4" square, go 4 foot into the ground and are set in solid concrete - It survived the infamous Scottish hurrican 'bawbag' last year so it will probably survive anything!
Good point about the turbulence - I didn't realise that would happen :-(
Good point about anchoring the Cloches down as well - Not quite sure how to do it at the moment, but will have to be a consideration!

David Hare-Scott - Good point about 'Remembering' to open the lids on the fully enclosed cloches (For the Chilli's/Peppers) - Not really sure how I'm going to manage this one. I want it to be warm inside, we tried Peppers outside last year and they came to nothing, converserly - don't want to cook them!
PS - Excuse my ignorance - But what is 'BT' when you refer to Butterfly's/Moths?

So thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. 'hopefully' I've added a picture of the plans for the beds in terms of what we're looking to plant in them.
Obviously the Kidney beans / Peas Mange tout wont need boxes (Thankfully)

Just a few last questions: -

In terms of heat build up in the enclosed Cloches - I read somewhere that a bucket of water in a cloche can act as a heat sink during the day and also dissipates heat in the night - Is this true?

What sort of temperature should I be aiming for in the enclosed cloches? (In terms of minimum/maximum?

I'll try and get a few pictures of my progress through the week.

Cheers

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Cloches - Detirmined to beat local cats, high winds and Caterpillars!-raised-beds.jpg