Old 19-03-2012, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pendrag0n[_2_] Pendrag0n[_2_] is offline

Default Heathers in South Lincs

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 06:59:11 +0000, Pendrag0n wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:26:52 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Mar 18, 8:58*pm, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:48:47 +0000, Pendrag0n wrote:
Hello all,

I have seen a few local gardens with decent heathers that seem to
flower all year, if you can call them flowers, sort of mauve, purple,
white etc. Probably up to about 50cm. Any ideas on what I should get
to plant and forget, hopefully quick growing. Along the side of the
house etc.

Not much of a gardener as is quite apparent

TIA

PS: The soil round here seem to retain the water for ages. I pinched
some of the farmers field for a couple of pot plants and they never
seem to dry!! Whereas the composty stuff I had before needed watering
every few days. It's not clay.

There are lots of different types of heather. Some need an acid soil
whilst others will tolerate more alkaline ones. There are heathers
that will flower at different times of the year and so it is possible
to get all year flowering using a mix of types. However this will
depend on the soil in the area you want to plant. Just because there
are acid loving heathers thriving in the next street doesn't mean you
necessarily have acid soil. In my garden, I have very acid soil at one
point and about 75 feet away the soil is alkaline. I blame the
chickens that used to live here.
Heather flowers aren't massive - they're little rugby balls massed
along a stem. But they're food for bees and fairly easy to maintain -
you just trim the flowering branches back once a plant has stopped
flowering - if you don't do this they will quickly get leggy and look
bad.

OK

So I suggest your first step is to find out what the pH of your soil
is. 6.9 or under is acid, 7 is neutral and 7.1 upwards is alkaline.
You can buy testing kits in garden centres and DIY places.

OK I shall order a soil test kit.

Is this thing any good? Might be handy for my indoor plants knowing
when to water them cos I tend to over water at times

http://tinyurl.com/8xvrkfd

Cost is an issue if I only use it once in a blue moon.