Old 19-03-2012, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Nick is offline

Default Heathers in South Lincs

In message , Pendrag0n
writes
snip

PS: The soil round here seem to retain the water for ages. I pinched
some of the farmers field for a couple of pot plants and they never
seem to dry!! Whereas the composty stuff I had before needed watering
every few days. It's not clay.

If you're anywhere near the Wash (as we are) the Fens are a drained
flood plain, so it's mainly silt. Although there's still a lot of
variation in quality of soil field by field - my farmer neighbour
pointed out two adjacent fields and commented there were three gears
difference in ploughing them.
--
Nick (=----)