Old 20-03-2012, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default weed or not?

On 20/03/2012 00:42, Christina Websell wrote:
"Martin wrote in message
On 18/03/2012 13:47, Baz wrote:
Martin wrote in news:vUh9r.458
:

I have found that this weed does not grow in my potato bed or parsnip bed
after initial weeding. Why? No idea.

Potato would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not
edible. I can almost never avoid having volunteers sprout in the borders
that have spent a season growing in the compost heap!

I've stopped growing potatoes. You can never get rid of them and I can buy
56lb bag from my local farm for a fiver.
It's not worth the effort.

But early new potatoes are just about worth the effort. Main crop isn't
unless you have lots of space. It is an astonishingly vigorous plant
that can really look after itself. Great for breaking up new ground.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown