Old 20-03-2012, 10:07 AM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
About 10 years ago, my parents decided to harvest some bamboo from a
family friend.

We placed them along the border of our yard.

Flash forward a few years...they start appearing in our neighbors yard.

So I spent 3 years a day for a week pulling bamboo out of the ground.
I dug until I got to the bamboo then tried pulling it out.

As you all know their roots go out far (in all directions), so pulling
took ALOT of effort.

Now they are over running our yard and our neighbors yard again.

What can we do?

Is there a spray that we can use that wont kill our grass but will kill
the bamboo?

Is there a easier way to get rid of them?

Thanks
Dig up unwanted bamboo using a mattock and spade. The pointed mattock will help loosen the tangled rhizomes from the soil and the spade will lift them from the ground. Except in unusual circumstances, bamboo rhizomes do not grow deep in the soil.

Use lopping shears to cut through thick rhizomes. Make sure to remove every bit of rhizome or the bamboo will come back stronger than before. Starve plants to death by cutting off all new growth before it reaches 2 feet in height. Bamboo needs to photosynthesize, just like any other plant.

Pour straight glyphosate herbicide directly onto freshly cut stumps. Systemic herbicides are favored over contact killers in the removal of bamboo. Keep in mind that once the plants are dead, you still have to dig them out of the ground. They are much easier to dig when alive. Do not compost bamboo. It will only make it mad. Even the smallest piece of rhizome will grow if given the slightest opportunity.
Fruit Trees