Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
JennyC

Default Non-germinating bird seed.

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
The bird seed which falls from the bird table germinates and makes a

real
mess which needs to be repeatedly weeded. If I put it in the oven

for a
while, what temperature would I need to use and for how long to kill

it?
Would doing so have any adverse side-effects such as making it

unpalatable
to birds?

Can you buy seed ready-prepared like this?

Martin.

Probably not a suitable solution for you Martin, but I have my bird
feeders hanging in a tree, which is in a large pot, standing on
gravel.
All I need to do at the end of winter is rake it over a couple of
times to get rid of the seedlings. Seeds that germinate in the pot are
also easy to remove.
Jenny