Old 21-03-2012, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Virginia Creeper problem

"Diamond" wrote in message
news

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;953814']"Diamond" wrote in message
news
Bob Hobden;953752 Wrote:-
"Charlie Pridham" wrote ..-

Thanks again everyone. Well, whether its Virginia or Boston I am not
quite sure but as Charlie says, they both have red leaves and both cling
!!

My concern is that when I try to scrape/break or pull off the dead twigs
on the brick wall, it leaves behind an inprint of the tendril. If I have
to take it off, the entire wall will be covered in a pattern of white
lines, horrible. This happened with an Ivy I removed a few years ago, I
still see the marks now!

But presumably you are all telling me there is nothing can save this
plant?

Thanks.

--
Diamond

I have not seen them actually die, but have large scale die back, once the
older stems do that they do not seem to recover but the plant usually grows
back from lower down.

The stems/tendrils do leave some marks when removed but this will be less if
you give them time to weather and become crispy dead

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs