Old 21-03-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Snails!!!!

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:48:38 +0000, Granity
wrote:

Gem;953763 Wrote:
Hi all

What is the best thing to use to combat snails..?

Last year my poor red hot poker was destroyed by them. I dont know what
the reasons were ie climate, less predators but I was totally inundated
with them!

This year I want to be "armed and dangerous" and fully prepared!

Much appreciated

Gem

They're delicious cooked in garlic butter. :-)

They don't seem to eat my pokers but they do love hiding in the leaves
I find. There's no real alternative to picking them off by hand I have
a little bucket filled with very salty water. Pick them off and drop
them in. Simples.

I used to put some in a container for thrushes to get at but for some
reason, all the thrushes have deserted me for the second year in a
row. Perhaps it was because I didn't cook the snails in garlic butter.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.