Old 21-03-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot tops - edible??

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:23:12 +0000, houndsy
wrote:

Can I safely eat the foliage grown by carrots?? I'm getting interested
in eating assorted young greens. And radishes, and turnips.......
(thoughts of rhubarb leaves has made me ask).

Carrot tops are nice cook or raw. They were often used when I was
young. It's a bit of a mystery to me why people don't eat more.

You are probably a non-taster. Bitterness can be tasted by less
than half of the UK population, apparently, though it seems to be
more common among the people I know. The others taste it in the
same way as sourness. If you regard lemon juice as more bitter
than grapefruit juice, or can counteractness bitterness with sugar,
you are a non-taster.

I am less sensitive than I used to be but, even today, one grapefruit
in a fruit salad for 20 people makes it unpleasant for me. A LOT
of things are not eaten because they are bitter - the worst I have
tried was cardoons, which are as bitter as gall.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.