Old 21-03-2012, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Hedge maintenance - who's responsibility is it?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:40:55 +0000, echinosum
wrote:

lannerman;953670 Wrote:
Further to the above good advice, if indeed you do cut the hedge back
yourself then make sure you offer the trimmings back to your neighbour
?? This will protect you from being accused of theft !! There is nothing
to stop you cutting back the hedge to the boundary line as long as you
are aware that the trimmings legally belong to your neighbour, so by
offering them back, you then cover yourself !
Lannerman.

That is a specifically British interpretation of law. Given OP's
spelling of neighbor, I think they need to know the local legal
situation.

My logic says the cuttings belong to whichever side they were growing
over, that's what gives one the right to cut them... there is no
theft... were it an apple tree would you after harvesting those
hanging on your side give the apples to the neighbor... I say they'd
be yours the same as if they dropped onto your side. In fact if the
neighbor reached over onto your side to take those apples from his
tree growing on your side that would be theft... what grows onto your
side is yours. If the neighbor didn't want you picking the apples
from his tree he should have planted that tree further from the
property line. In the present case the neighbor was very presumptuous
planting a hedge so that it grows over onto the adjoining property. I
planted a dozen trees seventy five feet apart in a row along my
property line but I made sure that they were twenty feet into my
side... no neighbor problems.