Old 21-03-2012, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default I'm a step-froggie-daddy again

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:30:59 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 18/03/2012 22:45, Jake wrote:

As well as froggie (and hoggie) slug eaters, my secret slug deterrent
around the hostas is shredded CDs and DVDs. I offer to remove the
CD/DVD waste from offices on estates I manage and have a shredder that
pulverises them into confetti. These are scattered around the plants
like crushed eggshells. Plus points are that they don't decompose and
in the sun you get a multi-coloured glint shining through the plants.
And, of course, slugs and snails don't like the sharp edges. I can
also dig the shards into the ground whenever and they act like coarse
grit to improve drainage. There are lots of uses for unshredded CDs
and DVDs as well.

The CD shreddings sound quite effective and even attractive, which
surprises me. However, they do sound rather sharp. Don't you have
problems weeding? I'm forever cutting myself on glass in my soil, and I
imagine shards of CD could be quite nasty

I don't actually find the CD shards that sharp though they do deter
slugs and snails. I've certainly never cut myself on them. Indeed,
when spreading them I have a bag full from the shredder and just grab
a handful to scatter. Only time they get painful is if one gets under
the finger nail.

Last year I made a hedgehog/thrush feeding contraption using a pot
saucer. I glued some CD shards around the inside of the rim and then
popped some slugs and snails in. They certainly didn't get out and the
smashed shells nearby the next morning indicated that the thrushes had
enjoyed breakfast. The slugs were also devoured by the visiting hogs.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.