Old 21-03-2012, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pendrag0n[_2_] Pendrag0n[_2_] is offline

Default Heathers in South Lincs

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:03:06 +0000, Jake
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 08:50:41 +0000, Pendrag0n wrote:

Is this thing any good? Might be handy for my indoor plants knowing
when to water them cos I tend to over water at times

http://tinyurl.com/8xvrkfd

Cost is an issue if I only use it once in a blue moon.

Sorry for not replying sooner - had a problem with my newsreader which
deleted everything and I've only just got the historic stuff
downloaded again.

I haven't seen this particular device before but for a pip over £3 I'd
be very tempted to try it out. Stick in devices like this are
generally easier to use than the kits where you put some soil in a
little tube, add a tablet and then some water and match the colour to
a chart.

Going back to your earlier message, I think Rod's answered your
question about choosing plants for the pH you've got. The Spring
flowerers will tolerate alkaline soil but later flowering ones tend to
want acid. If your soil is neutral (pH 7) then you'll probably get do
ok with the acid lovers if you mix some ericaceous compost into the
planting holes.

If you mulch with bark, this will tend to increase the acidity as it
naturally rots down - you'll need to remulch every couple of years.

You'll need to water regularly for this year as the plants won't have
developed advanced root systems. Also, if you're planting close to a
building/wall, the ground will be sheltered and may not get as much
rain on it as more open ground. Once a month until September add some
of this:

http://www.gardenhealth.com/products...t-food-liquid/

or a similar product to the watering can. If you get into the habit
of, say, 1st Saturday each month you should manage to remember

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Thank you and you guys from earlier with the excellent answers. I
shall order this thing post haste and see what I am working with in
the soils.