Old 22-03-2012, 09:06 PM
mike696 mike696 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Mike, you dont say where abouts in the UK you are ??? Hydrangea seemanii is a particular favourite form of mine, its bushy, self-clinging and as you say, when it gets going, its quite vigorous. If anything, I'd say that seemanii was quicker to establish the petiolaris ! As for hardiness, I cant comment because, I'm down in the west of Cornwall where its quite mild but even last winter when we had -10 C apart from the very new top growing tips, there was no other damage. One tip that could be useful for you, would be to grow it in a large container in a sunny spot to get it really 'going' before planting it out about early September, that way, you'd give it a really good start !
regards, lannerman.

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm based in Leicestershire - do you think this would make much of a difference? Could very cold temperatures (-15+) kill the shrub entirely - or would it be more likely to just kill the leaf foliage back?