Old 23-03-2012, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tips of camellia sinensis leaves are turning brown

"BlackThumb" wrote in message

Wow thank you to everyone who replied. There is so much informative but
different advice, it's a bit confusing.

It's about 1 foot at the moment and I won't be living at this house for
ever, so it would be nice to keep it in a pot if possible.

Use Ericaceous compost when repotting, at that size you will be OK for a
year or two

I haven't yet checked the PH, but I'm assuming the soil that it arrived
in is the correct PH. I'll buy a PH tester when my replacement card
arrives lol.

Its only the soil in the garden that needs checking, you can control what
you use in the pot, if the outside soil is not suitable it will have to stay
in a large pot, more work for you but at least it will live.

If it needs to be humid, should it be misted with water every day?

Misting is good, as is standing on a tray of pebbles with a layer of water
below the bottom of the pot, both can help the humididty locally

What about the conservatory? It gets cold at night (there's no heating
in it), but there won't be a risk of frost. It would obviously also get
warm in the summer. The problem would be sun light, but I could make
shade for it.

Conservatory sounds ideal for winter, but get the plant out around the
begining of April and bring back in around Mid October, keep an eye on the
forecasts to fine tune the timings, they are not that tender and will take
some frost, being in a pot makes the roots vunerable to frost damage which
does not happen in the ground.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs