Old 23-03-2012, 11:19 AM
neiloh neiloh is offline
Registered User

Location: Leeds, W Yorkshire
Default Complete Beginner - Advice Needed

Hi All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a few days now, picking up tips here and there. Amazed at the amount of knowledge floating around!

I have just moved into my first house with my first garden. Until now I have lived in flats and haven’t had to even mow a lawn since I used to do it for pocket money as a spotty teenager. Now I have an average sized garden that is pretty bare apart from a few paving slabs dropped at the far end that I assume acted as a patio as it catches the most sun. I am in no rush to go crazy with water features etc as I want with baby steps and become adequate at the basics before anything too ambitious.

The first thing I’d like to do is hide/disguise next doors half plastic/half concrete fence. I have been looking at climbers/shrubs/espaliers to do this and would be keen to hear any suggestion/recommendations from those that know what they are doing. The top half of the garden gets a lot of sun, while the bottom half nearest the house is in the shade all day. The Mrs would like a combination of pink/white blossom type flowers. Ideally, something that doesn’t look too bare during the winter months as we are trying to hide the fence as much as possible. Oh, and also on a bit of a budget. So, any suggestions for a beginner to be able to handle would be much appreciated?

Thanks in advance.