Old 23-03-2012, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default How long to leave bed with fresh manure?

wrote in :

My wife dug in some fresh horse manure into a bed last September or
so, would it be OK to put some onions in the bed now?

In general is this a sensible thing to do or should it *always* be
rotted down? We have horses on our land adjacent to the vegetable
plot so it's always somewhat tempting to 'go direct'! :-)

I think I am right in saying that fresh horse manure is great for 'woody'
plants, shrubs and trees because they are, well, woody.
A vegetable has less than that, in fact tender stalks, and the fermentation
of manure can reach high temperatures and kill or at least burn them.
I would urge you not to put any veg in there until a more knowledeable
gardener from this group advises otherwise.

I envy you for your very local supply. It needs composting/rotting for at
least a year though IMO.

Good luck and my best wishes Chris.
Baz